Who we are
Dr Chris Hurst
Adjunct Research Fellow, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
I trained as a primary teacher and taught in various jurisdictions for 37 years before completing my PhD in 2007. From 2006 to 2020, I was an academic in the School of Education at Curtin University in Perth, Western Australia. I am currently an Adjunct Research Fellow at Curtin and am an active researcher. My main interests lie in multiplicative thinking, children’s capacity to make appropriate computational choices, and mathematical content knowledge of primary teachers.
Dr Derek Hurrell
Senior Lecturer in Mathematics Education, University of Notre Dame Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia
I am in the fortunate position of working with in-service and pre-service teachers in developing their expertise in teaching mathematics. Having been a teacher, mathematics consultant and tertiary educator in a diverse range of settings over many years, I am interested in how we can make mathematics more accessible to everyone. My main interests lie in the areas of mathematical content knowledge, multiplicative thinking , fractions and geometry.
Dr Ray Huntley
Retired Mathematics Educator, Independent Researcher and Writer, Plymouth, United Kingdom
I trained as a primary teacher (mathematics specialist) and taught in 6 schools across 15 years in the UK and Australia before becoming a headteacher/principal in 2000. I later moved into teacher education as a lecturer and researcher, completing my PhD in 2011. I worked in 4 universities across a 15 year period, as well as lecturing on teacher development programmes in South Africa and as a mathematics consultant to schools across the UK and in Dubai. I am currently authoring text books and exam questions and remain an active researcher. My main interests lie in multiplicative thinking and mathematical content knowledge of primary teachers, in particular their choice of examples for learning.
What we do
- We offer a research-based consultancy service on multiplicative thinking for primary/elementary and middle years educators.
- We will work with teachers, education assistants, support staff, and parents, as needed.
- We will assist teachers to assess children’s multiplicative thinking through the use of diagnostic interviews and/or written quizzes.
- We also offer consultant advice in all other areas of primary and middle years mathematics.
- We provide professional learning for whole school staffs, small groups, and individual educators.