The Hidden Science of Cryptography (Upper Primary, Lower Secondary)
24 April 2019; 1.00pm – 3.00pm
When Alice and Bob want to share a secret they use encryption methods to make sure Eve the Evesdropper does not read their message. The battle between codemakers and codebreakers is ancient and this workshop will introduce you to this hidden science.
In this workshop you will:
- discover the history of cryptography and the important role it had to play in the development of modern technology
- participate in activities that you can use in the classroom to develop students’ algebraic thinking, introducing modular arithmetic and the importance of number theory in cybersecurity.
- use Python programming to develop your very own Caesar Cypher encryption program
- be introduced to the Australian Signal Directorate (ASD) Cyber Experience and the exciting career opportunities that await in the field of cryptography.
Pre-service teacher – $25
MAWA Member – $50
Non-member – $80
- Know students and how they learn
- Know the content and how to teach it
- Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- Engage in professional learning
- Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community